The welfare of its workforce plays a very important role. Recognizing the significance of a strong and secure workforce, the government of India, has implemented various schemes and initiatives to support workers’ needs. Among these schemes, the Ration Card, Shramik Card, and Employment Card providing essential benefits and opportunities to workers.
A Ration Card is a government-issued document that entitles eligible families to obtain essential food grains and other commodities at subsidized rates from the Public Distribution System (PDS) or Fair Price Shops. While the primary objective of the Ration Card is to ensure food security for vulnerable sections of society, it also extends support to workers from low-income backgrounds.
Key features and benefits of Ration Card:
- a) Food Security: Ration Cards play a crucial role in combating hunger and malnutrition by providing subsidized food grains to economically weaker sections.
- b) Identification: Ration Cards serve as a valid proof of identity and address for various official purposes.
- c) Other Subsidized Schemes: Having a Ration Card often makes individuals eligible for other government welfare schemes.
A Labour card also known as a labor card or construction workers card, is a government issued document aimed at helping workers and workers in the informal sector is a means of identifying and supporting informal workers, who it often faces many challenges such as job insecurity and social insecurity Empowering Workers: Exploring Ration Card and Shramik Card under Government Welfare Schemes. Learn how these initiatives provide essential support to laborers and their families
Special Features and Benefits of Shramik Cards:
- a) Social Security: The employee card provides access to various social security schemes such as health insurance, accident insurance and retirement benefits.
- b) Skill development: In some countries, the employee card is linked to skill development programmes, which provide employees with new skills and improve their productivity.
- c) Welfare Scheme: Employee cards are usually prioritized in government welfare schemes to ensure timely support.
The Employment Card, also known as the Job Card. This card is primarily aimed at providing employment opportunities to rural workers and laborers in times of seasonal unemployment or economic distress.
Key features and benefits of Employment Card:
- a) Guaranteed Employment: It guarantees 100 days of wage employment to rural households whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
- b) Livelihood Support: Employment generated through MNREGA projects provides a source of income and sustenance during lean periods.
- c) Asset Creation: MNREGA focuses on creating durable assets like roads, ponds, and canals, which benefit the community and improve rural infrastructure.
Ration Card, Shramik Card, and Employment Card play a big position in supporting people, specifically those from susceptible and marginalized backgrounds. While the Ration Card ensures food security, the Shramik Card and Employment Card amplify social protection and employment possibilities to workers within the unorganized and rural sectors.